Will mice kill chicks?

P0U1TRYP3RS0N

Songster
12 Years
Mar 11, 2007
roll.png
I was just out in the shed setting up the brooder. I've seen a mouse out there but I thought it was gone. Then I went to open a bag of gamebird starter I got last July and EEEEKKKKKKKK
ep.gif
!!!!!!!!!!! There was a mouse and a whole lot of droppings in there! So I went to get one of the cats--that shouldn't be hard, right? We have eight cats. Of course, none wanted to be captured and thrown in a feed bag . The mouse seemed like he couldn't get out of the bag, so I took the bag outside the shed and left it at a tree 20 feet away. Now the cats are circling it. Poor thing, when it does come out it's gonna be like Wild kingdom
clap.gif
! I think that was the only mouse
fl.gif
in the shed, but just in case..... Do mice kill chicks/poults/ducklings?

Last edited:
We have squirrels that kill birds, I would imagine if a mouse was hungry enough................. they eat large bugs and in captivity can turn cannibal. I'm sure someone will have a definite answer though.

One time when I had baby chicks, there was a mouse that would sleep with the chickies. I saw it a couple times when I went out to feed early am. But it was not a hungry mouse.
gig.gif

There's been times when I've had just a single wayward mouse - frightened and captive - and I set them free (and not with a carnival of cats around - poor thing! I could not do that!). Friends have recommeneded (but I have not yet tried) a product called Mouse Magic - it's a nontoxic natural repellent. You might try something like that in your shed just for extra insurance.
JJ

Since mice and rat dropping carry disease I don't think I would use the feed. As far as killing the chicks they might eat all the food and starve them before you realize what is going on with the feed. The mice might even sit right beside them and feed.

Plaster of paris mixed with powdered sugar put in places only the mice can get to it is a non poisonous way to kill them without poisoning your chicks. Make sure it is where the chicks/chickens cannot get to it.

Ohh I once had a blue andalusian named "moonbeam" and she would seriously kill mice!!!!
ohh and not only that she also would kill garder snakes as well!!
She was a tough ol hen!
I miss her..........

and yes mice will kill if hungry enought cause i raise rabbits and one fell ont of the box and i found it in a mouse hole the mice was trying to pull it down the hole I just put out lots of possien to draw them to it in stead of the babys My chicks are also in the barn so I keep lots of poissen in the mice holes and under things where the chicks cant get it but the mice will smell it

No! A mouse will not kill a chick.

The droppings might not do them much good in the feed though, and in the interests of reducing risks to poultry, potential disease carriers should be controlled.

If it helps any my friend left a mouse in with a corn snake over night , the next day the corn snake was nibbeled on and died a little later. A mouse can seriously injure a chick. They could bite their legs and break them or chew on other body parts . One mouse bite in the eye can blind a chick or snake for life.

Back
Top Bottom