Will milk crates make a good nesting box.

runnerduck

Hatching
11 Years
Sep 16, 2008
I saw some milk crates on Criagslist for 1.00 and before I go and buy 25 milk crates, I wanted to know if anyone uses them like that.

thanks, Runnerduck - (aka andreaseggs)

I have used them before. They work just fine.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks everyone, so I'll go out and get a bunch of them. I'm hatching Black copper marans and I want to make them their own pen but without spending any more money. My husband hasn't gotten over the price tag on them.

I find milk crates used as nest boxes easier to clean. Just take them out dump them in the compost pole, put them back and add straw or chips. Takes a lot more time to write how to do it than to do it.

I have one for my four laying age (notice I didn't say they are actually paying rent yet) hens. Two squeeze in there at a time, but they seem to take turns sitting on the wooden dummy eggs i hae in there. And one in the silkie coop. They seem to ignore it.

when you use milk crates for nesting boxes does the straw or chips fall out of the bottom? Do you put something in it/under it to hold in the stuffing? Is a milk crate big enough for a heavy bird like an Orpington?

And, does anyone have pictures of their milk crate nesting boxes? Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom