Will Miniature Donkeys Get Along With Goats?

Chickenhatcher89

Songster
11 Years
Mar 2, 2008
Lawrenceburg, TN
I have 2 horses and 10 goats and have found a miniature donkey for sale with her baby that I am interested in. The donkeys have been around cows but never around goats before and I have some young goats that are pretty small. Was wondering if they would get along or if it is possible that the donkey would injure or kill one of them.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Rebecca
smile.png

Donkeys are often used as guard animals to protect sheep and goat herds. However, I don't know if miniature donkeys fall into that category.

Hopefully someone here will chime in who has personal experience.

It depends on the donkey. I had one small full size that hated my goats, but I have a friend who keeps one with cows as a guard animal and another friend who keeps two mini's with goats.

My neighbor rasies miniture donkeys, and the mares and babies are fine with anything, their stud is a pistol and he has to be kept seperated.

Depends on the animal. There is no absolutes.

Dilly

I agree, many times donkeys will kill goats, either because they are being territorial or even if they are playing. Donkeys play by grabbing each others necks and will often break a goats neck by doing this.

We have 3 miniature donkeys. When we got our first, before we could pick up the other two, he was very lonely. We introduced him to the goats (he had been around a couple of old nubians) and he seemed fine. We sat with them for a couple of hours a day for several days and they were fine. Then a week later my most bossy goat challenged him (raised up and tried to head butt him) over the hay pile, even though I had several different feeders available. He grabbed that goat by the neck and gave him a shake. He did not kill him, but could have easily. The goat was very sore and swollen for a while, but did give him more respect. We separated them unless we could be out there.

When the other two arrived, the donkeys had their own pasture and the goats their own. Occasionally when I am out there, I will let them graze together, but one of the others is quite territorial and will chase the goats if they get too close or bother him. He will also chase cats, dogs, etc if they come in the pasture.

Mini's are too small to guard, they can easily be taken down by a big dog.

The only thing you can do is try it and watch carefully. You should also have an area fenced off or in the barn with a small hole that the goats can get in but the donkeys can't. This gives them an escape route if the donkeys are being too rough. I would worry that either the mom will try to protect her baby from the goats or the baby as it is growing will try to play with the goats like donkeys do and hurt or kill them.

I have had a small donkey and he was wild when I brought him home... after gentling him I put him out supervised with my woods goat and 3 horses. The goat and donkey hung out together and I never saw him even think about doing anything to the goat.
Now the bully horses are another story...he was into self defense!
Good luck and keep us posted.

I guess I should probably wait on the donkeys then. I don't want to risk my goats getting hurt. But the miniature donkeys are soo adorable. Really hate I can't get them.
Thanks for all the advice everyone!
Rebecca

Back
Top Bottom