Will moving mallard ducks 10 miles away from their homing pool to a lake inhabited by other mallard ducks keep them from finding the pool again?

curious1

Hatching
Aug 7, 2022
A mother duck and her ducklings are away during the day but take over my pool at night and are using it as their lavatory. Apparently the mother chose it as their nesting pool and they have become attached to it. Will moving these mallard ducks 10 miles away to a lake inhabited by other mallard ducks keep them from finding the pool again?

Most likely. Mommy duck may know how to fly back but her ducklings cannot fly yet. Before you do that, you may want to place a few glitter filled beach balls in your pool. The light reflects off the glitter and scares them. She may find her own new water source that way. If you move them, they may be attacked by the pond’s resident ducks.

A mother duck and her ducklings are away during the day but take over my pool at night and are using it as their lavatory. Apparently the mother chose it as their nesting pool and they have become attached to it. Will moving these mallard ducks 10 miles away to a lake inhabited by other mallard ducks keep them from finding the pool again?
It is illegal to interfere with migratory birds including mallards

By all means use kind methods to persuade them to leave voluntarily, but you must not harass the ducks nor trap and relocate. That is illegal in every US state

Most likely. Mommy duck may know how to fly back but her ducklings cannot fly yet. Before you do that, you may want to place a few glitter filled beach balls in your pool. The light reflects off the glitter and scares them. She may find her own new water source that way. If you move them, they may be attacked by the pond’s resident ducks.
I tried motion activated lights, aluminum foil wrapped paper balls 7 inches in diameter, as well a pool float, none of which had any effect. I am now considering enclosing them outside of the pool and feeding them regularly to allow the mother to lay eggs. Is that a viable idea for such ducks?

I tried motion activated lights, aluminum foil wrapped paper balls 7 inches in diameter, as well a pool float, none of which had any effect. I am now considering enclosing them outside of the pool and feeding them regularly to allow the mother to lay eggs. Is that a viable idea for such ducks?
what do you mean enclosing them? If mama has babies, she wont still be broody. Do you mean so you can take her eggs? She shouldn't be laying still, she isnt a domestic bird bred for that and you enclosing them or catching them would not be legal.

Back
Top Bottom