Will my 5.5' fence keep my Australorps in?

petercriddell

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 3, 2010
Arizona
Hi all,

Just getting started for the first time with 3 australorp pullets. They're still in the brooder, so I'm planning my yard now. I've got a small side yard I can fence in (there's a pool in the back, so I want to keep them away from that). Will a 5.5' fence keep them in? I don't have a problem clipping their wings. The big problem is that I have a citrus tree growing close to the fence and am wondering if they will be able to get into that, then over the wall--even with clipped wings. Any help would be appreciated!

Quote:
Mine don't go over my 5 ft fence, but they could if they wanted to. Usually older fatter birds don't fly very much if at all. Younger ones can fly better. I've never had mine climb a tree or use anything to jump over, but again others have chickens that roost in trees. I have had them wiggle through some fairly small gaps under the fence and at the edges. I guess I'm not much help at all.

Imp- ignore above post
roll.png

they shouldnt i have a 5 ft wire fenced run for my flock and they dont fly out . i have the welded wire 50ft roll fencing from lowes and home depot. i have about 200 feet of it so they have a nice run to roam in they love it in the spring fall and summer. the winter is hard because the run gets snowed in so i shovel a little section of it so they can still be out side in the winter. hope this helps.

We have a four foot fence and haven't had any escapees. When they were younger they could squeeze thru the holes in the fence tho. It is the goat and sheep kind. But they would only do that if we were trying to catch them. We clipped their wings when they were younger. They have all since molted and grew them back but we still haven't had any problems.

I have Astraloups, RIR's, BO, and a few others, none of them have tried to escape over the fence. They only come out if you leave the door open for them.

It depends on their motivation. They can easily clear that if they are properly motivated. A few of mine, including Austalorps, cleared a 5' fence with no problem when they were trying to get away from an amorous rooster but most stayed in the run.

Everyone is giving you good advice, because the answer is yes they can and no they probably won't. Some of ours fly out and surprise us, even larger hens. We raised some with guineas and those hens still go to the top of the coops some times which is 8 foot or so... We did have to put netting over the top of the feeding and coop areas because of winged predators. We live near the water and found that netting used by clam operations is perfect. The watermen discard it after a while, but it is excellent for discouraging hawks and owls. This is more than you asked for! Have fun with them.

Mine do not fly out of my 6 ft welded wire fence. I think it may be that if you have a well-defined cross bar at the top of the fence, it makes a more inviting target, whereas if it is just wire all the way up, that may discourage most chooks from trying it. It is true that most chooks do their high flying within their first year. Once they are a year old, I think it is less likely they will try it. Another thing is how big the run is and how well they are entertained and fed. A couple of dust bath places, and a few roosts will help to keep them occupied.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom