Will my cat do good with a kitten?

Chicken poppy

Fashionably late 🎤🦆
Premium Feather Member
May 9, 2021
Poppyland
Let me start by saying, yes, i’m very aware all cats are different. I know her response could be anything and could be great, bad, or neutral. But as a paranoid cat mom i must ask for advice anyway!

I’m getting a kitten 8wks old very soon! (In two weeks because they aren’t 8wks yet) gender is not for sure yet.
and my lovely cat Kiwi, is about 5 years old, female.

I would love tips on how to slowly introduce and if you think Kiwi will do well.

Kiwi goes absolutely crazy and feral so to speak when she smells stray/feral cats on my hands. However, i have touched and rubbed a domesticated cat before, and she doesn’t care at all. I don’t think she cared about the kittens smell either (the one im getting)
She is good with dogs. Amazing with my birds, she snuggled with my bantam chicken, it’s a sweet relationship, but for the most part with a dog that used to live with us, and chicken bonding she stays neutral, doesn’t bother them, but doesn’t like them that much either.

She has lots and lots of kitten energy and is snuggly.

Thanks for any advice, suggestions, tips, etc!
5C57455D-C53F-41F6-BDE4-D2D0506F2F3C.jpeg

(Names also appreciated as it is a work and progress)

I have very little cat experience.
But based on what works with other animals, I suggest you have some way to separate them if needed. You may not need to, but it's useful to have a plan just in case.

Any room with a door can be used to separate cats (at least until a person opens the door.)

A wire dog crate could also be used to set up a look-no-touch situation, like is often done with chickens. Either cat could be the one in the crate-- the current cat so the kitten can freely explore the room, or the kitten if you want to keep it out of mischief while you are not directly available to supervise or if it keeps pestering the adult cat.

Of course there are differences between chickens and cats. With chickens it is common to set up a look-no-touch situation and have them live that way for weeks. With cats, I might expect to do it for a few hours or less each time, and the rest of the time either have them shut in separate rooms (much larger than a crate!) or else have them both completely free to interact with supervision.

And as you said, they might be fine from the beginning, so this would not be needed.

I have very little cat experience.
But based on what works with other animals, I suggest you have some way to separate them if needed. You may not need to, but it's useful to have a plan just in case.

Any room with a door can be used to separate cats (at least until a person opens the door.)

A wire dog crate could also be used to set up a look-no-touch situation, like is often done with chickens. Either cat could be the one in the crate-- the current cat so the kitten can freely explore the room, or the kitten if you want to keep it out of mischief while you are not directly available to supervise or if it keeps pestering the adult cat.

Of course there are differences between chickens and cats. With chickens it is common to set up a look-no-touch situation and have them live that way for weeks. With cats, I might expect to do it for a few hours or less each time, and the rest of the time either have them shut in separate rooms (much larger than a crate!) or else have them both completely free to interact with supervision.

And as you said, they might be fine from the beginning, so this would not be needed.
Thank you for your reply! I will definitely keep this in mind, i have never mixed cats before though I’ve owned a few, all at different times.

Back
Top Bottom