Will my chicken need a sweater?

schatze

Songster
12 Years
Feb 25, 2011
I'm not sure where to post this.

Indy is one of my younger chickens. When I found him in the nestbox, his legs and wings were straight out in front of and to the sides of him, he only wobbled and couldn't walk, and his abdomen wasn't completely formed. I left him there with his mother thinking that would be best. The next day, he was walking around and looked normal. His mother was completely disinterested (I have a couple of hens who are notoriously bad mothers), so I took him out and put him with two other orphaned chicks a few days older.

Indy seemed fine until the wing feathers started coming in--they were growing backwards. As the entire wings formed, they seemed to be completely inverted thus leaving his sides exposed.

He has normal feathers some places and next to nothing other places. In the pictures, you can see two other birds younger than Indy, and they're fully feathered, so I think this is it for him.

I live in Texas, so winter is mild, but it does get to freezing dome days. Will he need a sweater? If so, where can I find a pattern, and what fabric is best?

I do see feather growth still happening for him in the third pic. I think there are also more coming in seen in the pic of his bottom.

Is one of the parents a frizzle? He has some odd feather shape to the wings for sure.

Poor dear does look a bit naked. I do think he will be getting more feathers and a sweater could be uncomfortable for him while they grow in.

I would give him some more time and see how much more he grows in. Remember that most males feather later then the females too.

You don't mention how old he is but he looks quite young. I am guessing he is about 8 to 10 weeks old.

I do see feather growth still happening for him in the third pic. I think there are also more coming in seen in the pic of his bottom.

Is one of the parents a frizzle? He has some odd feather shape to the wings for sure.

Poor dear does look a bit naked. I do think he will be getting more feathers and a sweater could be uncomfortable for him while they grow in.

I would give him some more time and see how much more he grows in. Remember that most males feather later then the females too.

You don't mention how old he is but he looks quite young. I am guessing he is about 8 to 10 weeks old.

He's exactly 12 weeks old. His bottom has looked like that for the last month. I don't have any frizzles.

I do hope he gets more feathers. The ones younger than him are covered with feathers, and he looks so bare, especially on his shoulders (? No idea if they're considered shoulders on a chicken) and bottom.

His bottom has a little strip starting to grow. It looks like a chicken thong.

Back
Top Bottom