Will my chickens ever learn to roost?

mpmb1227

Chirping
Jan 28, 2015
Stanwood, Washington
I got them all as mature adults, varying in age from, based on my knowledge and assumptions, 1 to 3 years old. I recently added two roosts, on with a 2x4 and another with a 4x4 wood post, but they just don't seem to know how to roost. I don't think they have ever roosted before in their life. I want them to use the roosts to help with boredom since they are locked in their run for the first half of the day while I'm at the college. My question is, will they ever pick up on the idea or is it a lost cause at this point?

Do they only roost at night? The roosts aren't in the coop, they are in the run (one between their coop and barn, one tucked slightly under some bushes). They only have access during the day as there are a lot of nocturnal predators around my property so I keep them locked in the coop after dark.

Do they only roost at night? The roosts aren't in the coop, they are in the run (one between their coop and barn, one tucked slightly under some bushes). They only have access during the day as there are a lot of nocturnal predators around my property so I keep them locked in the coop after dark.
Yes, they only roost at night unless bad weather forces them up on roosts during the daytime. The roost bars need to be in the coop, where they spend the night.

Chickens often perch during the day. That’s where they get up on something high and look around. Not all chickens perch like this but a lot do. Sometimes they just like to get up high and look around. They may stay up there for a while or they may hop down pretty quickly. Sometimes it’s a way to get away from bullies.

Most chickens roost at night. Roosting is when they sleep up on something high. It’s instinctive behavior in most, but sometimes you get some that did not learn when young.

Some chickens, like Silkies, can’t fly so they often are quite happy to sleep on the ground at night. Some Silkies will perch and roost but a lot never do.

Don’t over-worry about it. If they have the opportunity they will perch if they want to. If they don’t want to, they won’t. It won’t hurt them either way.

Back
Top Bottom