1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Will my chickens go in when it rains?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cemcnair, Dec 9, 2008.

1. cemcnair

cemcnair In the Brooder

Oct 16, 2008
    Northwest Arkansas
    I opened my chickens out side door today so that they could get to their run. It was warm this morning (about 55), but now it is about 35 degrees and is supposed to start raining before I get home. Do you think they will be smart enough to go back inside? (This is the first time I have let them out while I'm at work-I am just a little nervous!)

They are about 11 weeks old and have all of their warm feathers, so the cold should be okay, but I don't think wet is good for chickens....

Thanks!

2. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Songster

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    LOL Maybe, maybe not. They aint always the smartest things ever! I've seen 'em set out in the middle of the grass and look up at the rain, I've also watched 'em try to walk from there coop to a wide open pasture in the middle of really bad wind storms, thats actually funny to see, but then I have to go out and put 'em back in the coop LOL! Sometimes they'll surprise ya and do somethin smart, other times they'll just stand there, or walk even further away from shelter.

3. jvls1942

jvls1942 Crowing 9 Years

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    this is not the first time out, just the first time while you are not there, correct?? I think they will be OK.. they know how to go in and out by themselves.. they can get wet, it won't harm them.. Now get off the computor and go back to work..signed,,your boss......LOL

...jiminwisc.........

4. scooter147

scooter147 Songster

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    If you have had no problems with them returning to the coop on their own to roost they should all be tucked in when you get there.
    As far as the rain and chickens going out in it, they seem to be like people. I have chickens that will range all day in the rain and not think a thing about it and others are like the wicked witch of the west, they are convinced they will melt if they go out in the rain

5. clayhill

clayhill Songster

Nov 17, 2008
    Lee County, Arkansas
    Hi all,
    I've got 14 BRs and it rained (stormed) all day today. They stayed out in it ALL DAY LONG. Checked on them about 30 minutes ago and they all seemed o.k., just waterlogged!

6. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Mine love the rain..... even today when it was 37 and raining they were trying to get out to run around [​IMG]

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Mine play in it like 3 years old kids. They love the puddles, they love the cool air, etc. It is also funny to watch.

8. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Songster

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Just had to put some young wet Ameraucanas in that were hunkered by their old brooder.

9. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Songster

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    My chooks surprised me with their attitude toward rain. They hung out for a while and when it started raining hard they sought shelter - just not in the coop!
    [​IMG]

Silly things ... they;ll be fine.

10. maine chicks

maine chicks Songster

Nov 10, 2008
    maine
    My girls were singing in the rain today. They were just happy it wasn't 15 degrees and windy like yesterday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: