Will my chickens go in when it rains?

Well, in a word NO !!! They tend to love the rain, the puddles, the worms that come to the surface, the feeling of getting wet and cleaning themselves. I have NEVER been able to keep mine in the barn, no matter what. They go to roost wet, dirty and very happy.

It is funny though. When it rains and they play, the go to bed early and sleep hard, no noises or crows or nuthin. Eveb the guinea fowl are pretty quiet.

They were all in when I got home, but I could tell they had been out because they don't eat as much of their food when they are outside all day. They didn't seem upset at all, just happy to see me coming with their treats! Thanks!

I live in SE Ohio and yestardy it was in the low 50's but raining. My hen were outside as long as it was not raining to hard. They will go in if they are uncomfortable.
D.gif

The first time it stormed on our chicks we had to go out and carry them, one by one, into their coop. It was ridiculous. They were all huddled together right in the corner of the open end of the coop, being pelted by run-off. It was so sad. BUT, ours were only about 4 or 5 weeks when we let them live freely in the coop/run, so maybe their lil' brains were just too tiny and smooth to figure out what to do. Maybe at 11 weeks, yours will have more sense! Now they love the rain like everybody else said. They get all dirty and muddy but then they're all clean in a day or two.

Sometimes mine will go out and sometimes they won't. Their run is covered. Also it depends on how hard it's raining and the temp out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom