1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will my Chickens lay in Mixing bowls??????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Harryojwright, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Harryojwright

Harryojwright New Egg

May 1, 2011
    hi there ive just built a new chhicken coop and i dont have any space for nest boxes if i put down mixing bowls and put some straw in them will they lay????

Thanks!!

2. ChickenSahib

ChickenSahib Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Hayward
    With a fake egg in it and put it in the corner, I don't see why not.

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    If you have room to lay down mixing bowls, you have room for nesting boxes! A hen's requirement is that the place she lays her eggs (per Mother Nature, her future offspring) be safe and secure. She is looking for a place that affords a little privacy and appears to be relatively predator safe. If you lay a mixing bowl down in the middle of the yard, then she is unlikely to lay in it. Instead she will try to find a place that looks safer, more secure and a little more secluded than that. However if you lay down the mixing bowls in a place that meets her other criteria, she might consider them an option.

I have used a variety of things as nest boxes. Like you, I did not initially have a place I could build them in. Instead I used a covered cat litter box with a little hay in it and they all seemed to see that as a viable option and laid eggs in it for about a year, until I was able to build something more permanent. My best experiences with finding them places to lay are that they are somewhat enclosed. They like to have a roof over their heads, rather than feel they are in a wide open space. Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by