Will my Chickens Roost

Beverly Cruzz

Hatching
Apr 5, 2018
I bought 4 chickens 17 weeks old from a hatchery I have only had them 1 day but I noticed they are not using their roost tonite ( which they have a new coop too and the roost is probably 18 in high ) is the roost to high or were they raised in a huge barn and have never had a roost ? when I checked on them 3 were sleeping in the nest boxes and the other one not.

For my chickens it was a matter of maturity, from oldest to youngest they all eventually made it to the roosts:)

If I were a chicken, I would rather lay in a soft bed than roost. Sounds like they will all fall in line shortly. My roosters roost, my hens are a touch smarter and go for the beds. That's kind of unfair, roosters keep watch like good loving family men should.:duc:th

What I did with both my flocks, ( which for both worked ) at sunset ever night I pushed them up the ladder to the roost and closed the door. Then again, and again. Sometimes one or a few would get it and go up, but come down because the other don’t. But they would get it eventually, plus my nest boxes you have to cross the roost to get to them.

I bought 4 chickens 17 weeks old from a hatchery I have only had them 1 day but I noticed they are not using their roost tonite ( which they have a new coop too and the roost is probably 18 in high ) is the roost to high or were they raised in a huge barn and have never had a roost ? when I checked on them 3 were sleeping in the nest boxes and the other one not.
Give them time.
Is roost higher than nests?
Cover nests so they don't get in the habit of sleeping there.

Back
Top Bottom