Will my cracked egg hatch?

olijo123

Songster
8 Years
Jun 10, 2013
WV
Hi! I have 5 broody bantam hens sitting on eggs. (3 are sharing a nesting box while the other two have their own nesting box). My mixed breed banty is on 3 eggs, my Japanese bantam on 2, and my three oegb is on only 2. So I have 7 eggs due to hatch. I would've had ten but a few didn't develop. They are due to hatch today and tomorrow! So......enough with my blabbering and I will tell you what happened! LOL So, my bantams have their own separate coop from the other standard chickens. I went ahead and let them go broody because we were building them their own pen so they would no longer free range. I came to find out that their pen wouldn't be done for them by the time they hatched due to the weather. :( But the big chickens run them off the nest and lay their eggs there, so when I went to check on the eggs 2 had cracked on day 15 due to the other chickens stepping on them. At first it was barely noticeable until I really looked at it. But its just a small crack so when I rub the eggs I cant even feel the crack. So because of that I didn't put anything on it and I let it be. I candled them last night and they were moving around. So was this a big mistake not putting anything on them? Or will they be okay? Thank you!

just wondering if your cracked egg ever hatched? I am at day 15 and noticed a crack as well
THanks!

Hi! And out of the two eggs that were cracked only one hatched. The other one would have hatched too but the momma hen stepped on it when it was hatching and crushed it because it gave way. But the other one that was cracked hatched out fine! If its not very noticeable then I wouldn't worry about it. I first noticed the cracks when I candled the eggs as well. Are you using an incubator or a broody hen?

You could try putting some clear nail polish on the crack if its not too deep. I've done it several times and they hatch ok.

Back
Top Bottom