Will my Ducks accept my new ducklings?

BobaFett_farming

Hatching
Mar 18, 2021
So i just got some new muscovy ducklings there about 5 days old Im woundering if i can put them in with my older mature ducks and chickens. My hens are about to lay there clutches and i was woundering would they accept the new already born ducklings thats not there own?

So i will have to wait till these new ducklings are about 3 weeks old. And put them in a fenced off place where the older ducks can see them and talk till there use to them?
Sounds like a good plan, I'd keep them fended off until they are close to full grown. Muscovy take longer to grow than other duck breeds.

Are your other ducks Muscovies? If not don't expect them to bond. Muscovies are a different subspecies. On the other hand the fighting should be less as they figure out pecking order.

I bought some rouen ducklings for my lame broody to care for. She was sitting on eggs and I replaced them. They are probably 3 or 4 days old - came in mail. She is sitting where the eggs were and when the new ducklings comes close she pushes them away. I only put them with her about 15 minutes ago. She doesn't seem mean, just pushes them. How long before I will know if she will adopt them?

Are the ducklings able to get under her, so she thinks they came from the eggs? If it is not working now you may want to try after dark. Do you have a brooder for back up? I have never tried ducklings to duck. I tried ducklings to chicken she attacked them so obvious no go. I did chicks to duck. The duck didn't mind them. The chicks bonded to the duck enough for her to be their heat source but the duck never really mothered them. You probably have a better chance as yours are at least the same species.

Are the ducklings able to get under her, so she thinks they came from the eggs? If it is not working now you may want to try after dark. Do you have a brooder for back up? I have never tried ducklings to duck. I tried ducklings to chicken she attacked them so obvious no go. I did chicks to duck. The duck didn't mind them. The chicks bonded to the duck enough for her to be their heat source but the duck never really mothered them. You probably have a better chance as yours are at least the same species.
She acts like she is still sitting on eggs although there aren't any now. I am hoping with a little time she will take to them, but yes I have a brooder if necessary. I am hoping it is not. I did 6 last year and ducklings make so much more a mess than chicks - lol. I want the ducks and hoping my lame girl will take over keeping them warm. They can eat and drink. She did that with them, but she is back on the empty nest and they are near the food and water. I will try to see if she will take them under her around dinner time.... Thank you for the suggestion :)

Back
Top Bottom