Will my ducks come back?

bratblack

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 13, 2014
I don't have any ducks (yet) as I'm doing all my research and planning at the moment. Leaning toward Welsh Harlequins and/or Cayugas.

But I have a lake directly across the street from my home that I have access to. I'm wondering if, when they're old enough and know the ropes of my my home/yard and know and love me, can I let them freely swim in the lake (with my supervision of course)?

It's a good sized lake that wraps around the back of some houses so I really wouldn't be able to "herd" them back if I needed to - no boat either.
... I feel like I'm answering my own question, but I'd like to hear some advise from ducks owners.

I guess, like, If I called them in, would they follow me home? lol...

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Hi- I have a chicken that has gotten out of the coup a few times and it took weeks to get it back. I would not let them in the lake if I was you. Maybe they will come back but there is a good chance that they will accept the new flock.

I think that's positive thinking. it really depends for one thing what if you can get them to follow you home can they cross the road on their own when and if they do decide to waddle home or will they be at risk of being run over by passing cars ,trucks etc. Having a road between their actual home and the place they love to go to swim and play maybe become a death sentence. I have a mountain river about 75-100 yards from my home and I don't let my flock of geese /ducks go down there and there is not a road but there is trees and bushes and lots of places for predators to hide and wait. I have no guarantee they would come home if I took them down there since they love water so much so I keep them home where I can keep an eye on them and keep them relatively safe. I maybe over protective but my oldest duck is now 10.5 yrs old and he actually came from said river the others that were with him are long gone.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's the thing. I would never let them swim in a lake without my supervision (including the walk/waddle there and back). I live on a cul-de-sac so there's not a lot of traffic (I'm really not worried about that at all).
I'm just worried they won't come back.

Yeah, that's the thing. I would never let them swim in a lake without my supervision (including the walk/waddle there and back). I live on a cul-de-sac so there's not a lot of traffic (I'm really not worried about that at all).
I'm just worried they won't come back.
Well that's good then about the traffic, hard to say about whether they would come home when you are ready to go, But you can make their home so enjoyable they will probably come a visit often. lol I just like the idea if I am not here my flock is closed inside a fenced area. I know predators can fly in and climb over but so far we've only had a loss of 1 chicken to a hawk, once they see one of their own killed they are much more wary when the rooster makes the alarm call and run for cover. there are members here who do let their ducks loose on ponds and rivers and lakes but for me I'd be a nervous wreck with worry. One time this drake that I adopted from the river took 2 of my ducks on a walk to the river, we tried everything to get them to come home, they would have no part in it, so I had to leave them over night. Next morning i am standing at the upstairs window thinking how am i going to get these girls home if they are still alive, well low and behold here comes Ernie[drakes name] with the 2 ducks right behind him, I had been feeding him and he had been coming up to visit daily so he knew where the food was, after that I convinced him to stay since by then the other 2 drakes had been taken by something during the night and he was the only duck down there, plus he was happy to comply since I had the girls.
smile.png
That was over 10 yrs ago. he still has 2 of those ducks as his mates, plus a 7 yr old.

I guess there's no way to know for sure, but unless something changes, right now my ducks go out and come back every day. I "trained" them by spending time with them outside. They follow me around. Respond to my voice. They spend most of the day outside without me now, but they'll be right by my side if I want them to. Every night they go to their home. I come out and lock up.

I'm pretty sure between behavior, attachment, repetition, and supplying food, they'll keep coming back, just like my dog does. But do whatever you're comfortable with.

I guess there's no way to know for sure, but unless something changes, right now my ducks go out and come back every day. I "trained" them by spending time with them outside. They follow me around. Respond to my voice. They spend most of the day outside without me now, but they'll be right by my side if I want them to. Every night they go to their home. I come out and lock up.

I'm pretty sure between behavior, attachment, repetition, and supplying food, they'll keep coming back, just like my dog does. But do whatever you're comfortable with.
They are creatures of habit, if I am not out there to put mine up at a certain time of an evening[they all sleep in stalls since I have 4 drakes they can't all be out together] they are standing inside by their "bedroom door" waiting for me to open the door. I just love how comfortable they are with being locked in every night. You'e done a good job with yours enriquec

Back
Top Bottom