Will my ducks stop being mean to the new guy?

bcullom

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 23, 2013
I have 3 pekin ducks (2 females and 1 male) and recently adopted and unwanted male from a neighbor. He's bigger than the others but they have all been picking on him since they were first introduced. Nothing too serious from what I can tell- mostly chasing him around and biting his tail feathers, and some 'mounting' like activity where they put their necks over his back. I'm hoping this is just part of the pecking order being established, but if it goes on too long I want to find a better home for him. He's sweet as can be and quickly learned that I will protect him so he's become my best buddy. Should this behavior subside once everyone is used to eachother?

I hope you are keeping them separate when you are not there to supervise right now. It could get ugly if not. Ducks can be surprisingly tough on the new guy or gal.

Time side by side, separated by a fence, to get used to each other can help, as can giving treats to everyone at the same time. Baby steps.

At the same time, the general rule of thumb ratio of drakes to ducks (girls) is 1 to 3, up to 1 to 6. So you may have some other concerns longer term.

Now, some folks have pairs of ducks that do well together. But I feel that two drakes around two ducks could be unpleasant. It is largely up to the ducks when all is said and done, so watch closely and don't assume they will behave well when you are not looking. Not at first, anyway.

Intros can be ugly I agree separate with side by side fence and monitor them. Long term he should do fine but be careful with your girls to many drakes can be a problem. It's very good of you to take him in and nice to know he wasn't dumped at a local pond as so many are.

What would you suggest for a female mallard attacking a drake? He is disabled so he can't walk and get away. They used to cuddle and sleep together but now that they are older she pulls out his feathers sometimes until he bleeds. We separate them with a pen but on rare occasion she finds a way to get to him or he moves into her range if we aren't careful. Will that ever stop or is it a thing due to his disability?

What would you suggest for a female mallard attacking a drake? He is disabled so he can't walk and get away. They used to cuddle and sleep together but now that they are older she pulls out his feathers sometimes until he bleeds. We separate them with a pen but on rare occasion she finds a way to get to him or he moves into her range if we aren't careful. Will that ever stop or is it a thing due to his disability?

I think due to his disability, something about one of their own being different, in the wild they may even kill one that wasn't up to par so to speak, survival of the fittest. So now you'll have to make sure things don't get out of hand, she may calm down once cooler weather comes and her hormones wane but she may not so just keep doing what your doing and letting them be together through fencing. About all you can do.
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom