will my eggs still hatch?

annabell254

Chirping
7 Years
May 21, 2012
south Ga
I have a broody hen...the eggs are/were due to hatch this comming Tuesday....but today when I went to check on her she was in the wrong nest box! her eggs felt cold and the break fest eggs were warm as could be :( is there any chance they might still hatch...I put her back on the correct eggs...how long can a hen stay off of her eggs before they die?
thanks for any help

yes, i did....I just don't know anything about eggs and hatching them...this hen has gone broody 3 times now since last year and she sits on them and takes care of the babies so I never had a reason to learn....but this is a great opportunity! I have chicks coming from purely poultry tomorrow and in two weeks I have bantams chicks coming...so I really did not need the x-tra chicks, but they are very pretty and the roo's are nice and protective a good combo and in two years we have not lost any of this breed, and they lay an egg a day...a very small one but we do not mind so I also was not up-set about having more :) more curious about several things...
1) how long can a hen stay off of her eggs...is thee a time frame?
2) does it matter how mature the egg is (how close to hatch time) closer to hatch time the longer she can stay off or if that matters at all?
3) how long will she sit on the eggs if they are no good?
I have some sebrights coming with my bantams in two weeks...if I could get her to foster them that would be great as I hear that can have a high mortality rate and I only have 6 coming and I would like them to all make it and feel she might do a better job of it...
4) if her chicks are due to hatch this coming tue-Friday (I'm not sure exactly when she started sitting, but it was a few days before I marked it on the calender) making the new chicks arriving 6-10 days after her chicks are due to hatch...will she still be sitting and could I sneak them under her at night?

yes, i did....I just don't know anything about eggs and hatching them...this hen has gone broody 3 times now since last year and she sits on them and takes care of the babies so I never had a reason to learn....but this is a great opportunity! I have chicks coming from purely poultry tomorrow and in two weeks I have bantams chicks coming...so I really did not need the x-tra chicks, but they are very pretty and the roo's are nice and protective a good combo and in two years we have not lost any of this breed, and they lay an egg a day...a very small one but we do not mind so I also was not up-set about having more :) more curious about several things...
1) how long can a hen stay off of her eggs...is thee a time frame? 0-10 days
2) does it matter how mature the egg is (how close to hatch time) closer to hatch time the longer she can stay off or if that matters at all? it does matter sometimes. try putting the hen back on and wish for the best
fl.gif

3) how long will she sit on the eggs if they are no good?
I have some sebrights coming with my bantams in two weeks...if I could get her to foster them that would be great as I hear that can have a high mortality rate and I only have 6 coming and I would like them to all make it and feel she might do a better job of it... A hen will basically take anything under her wings. Ive seen a hen withs geese.
lau.gif

4) if her chicks are due to hatch this coming tue-Friday (I'm not sure exactly when she started sitting, but it was a few days before I marked it on the calender) making the new chicks arriving 6-10 days after her chicks are due to hatch...will she still be sitting and could I sneak them under her at night? You should be able to set them under her at night.

Her chicks are hatching!!!! I saw two for sure, but now I need to move her and the babies...any ideas...do I need to wait till tonight, I would like to do it now, I do not like the idea of her getting food and water today and the babies being alone in the coop (what if a roo or RIR goes in there) any ideas
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom