Will my flocks ever get along?

mg1010

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2021
I have 2 ducks 2 hens & 1 rooster who act as their own flock. I have 5 hens who act as another who are only 2-3 weeks younger than the others. The older ones will not let the younger ones around them at all... whether it’s free ranging, in the coop or run. Will it always be like this? Any tips?

Whenever I add new birds to a flock, I allow two weeks for everybody to get settled in. During those two weeks, don't let anybody hide from the others or they'll never adjust.

Whenever I add new birds to a flock, I allow two weeks for everybody to get settled in. During those two weeks, don't let anybody hide from the others or they'll never adjust.
I forgot to add that they have been around each other in cages inside since they were a few weeks old & they have been outside together for about a month free ranging and sharing a run. I cannot keep them in the run or coop together because they will not stop attacking the younger ones.

I forgot to add that they have been around each other in cages inside since they were a few weeks old & they have been outside together for about a month free ranging and sharing a run. I cannot keep them in the run or coop together because they will not stop attacking the younger ones.
As long as there is no bullies, they should be fine. They are settling the pecking order. It always takes two weeks for them to adjust in coop and run. :)

You don't say what breeds you have. Some breeds are more aggressive than others. I have 21 birds @ present. They have formed roughly 3 tribes, the Matrons, the young layers & the babies but they all get along.

A couple of things I've found help with integration:
  • Do it long & slow, months, not weeks. By the time I do a full integration the older birds have lost virtually all interest in the newbies.
  • Choose birds of the same or similar breeds in colouring, height, weight & temperament.
  • Know what you want from your flock before you begin. I've kept mixed birds & weird lookers with more standard breeds from the start. None of my birds bat an eyelid when I add yet another frizzle or Jap or Belgian to the mix.
  • Accept there will be some squabbling as the new pecking order is worked out.
  • I deliberately chose less dominant breeds even though they do not lay as well. It has saved me a lot of heartache.
  • Get a number equal to or higher than the original flock. This distributes the pecking so no one bird is discriminated against & evens the playing field for the newbies somewhat.
  • Getting a group of different breeds @ the same time helps. They grow up together & are more accepting of differences than trying to do it later on.

Last edited:
How old are they, in weeks?
Usually they start to form one flock when they are all laying.
After doing the math I guess they’re actually 4 weeks apart. The older ones are 15 weeks & the younger ones are 11 weeks.

As long as there is no bullies, they should be fine. They are settling the pecking order. It always takes two weeks for them to adjust in coop and run. :)
The older hens and ducks are the worst. The ducks are relentless and will not leave them alone if they get too close or are in the run.

You don't say what breeds you have. Some breeds are more aggressive than others. I have 21 birds @ present. They have formed roughly 3 tribes, the Matrons, the young layers & the babies but they all get along.

A couple of things I've found help with integration:
  • Do it long & slow, months, not weeks. By the time I do a full integration the older birds have lost virtually all interest in the newbies.
  • Choose birds of the same or similar breeds in colouring, height, weight & temperament.
  • Know what you want from your flock before you begin. I've kept mixed birds & weird lookers with more standard breeds from the start. None of my birds bat an eyelid when I add yet another frizzle or Jap or Belgian to the mix.
  • Accept there will be some squabbling as the new pecking order is worked out.
  • I deliberately chose less dominant breeds even though they do not lay as well. It has saved me a lot of heartache.
  • Get a number equal to or higher than the original flock. This distributes the pecking so no one bird is discriminated against & evens the playing field for the newbies somewhat.
  • Getting a group of different breeds @ the same time helps. They grow up together & are more accepting of differences than trying to do it later on.
Thanks for all the advice! My rooster is a Plymouth, older hens are Rhode Island reds, pekin ducks & the younger ones are 4 sapphire gems & 1 I’m not sure, they gave it to us for free bc the store didn’t know what it was either but it is a hen.

Thanks for all the advice! My rooster is a Plymouth, older hens are Rhode Island reds, pekin ducks & the younger ones are 4 sapphire gems & 1 I’m not sure, they gave it to us for free bc the store didn’t know what it was either but it is a hen.
I'm sorry, RIRs are notoriously dominant & unaccepting of other hens. It's a breed I won't keep because of it. They are lovely hens but can be bullies in a mixed flock. Your Sapphires are a hybrid we don't see out here & I have no idea about their temperament. If they are more docile birds they may always struggle with your RIRs. I have BRs & they are generally fairly laid back so I'm assuming the rooster would be also. Maybe someone who actually keeps RIRs has some helpful advice.

Back
Top Bottom