Will my frizzle be too cold?

HappyClucker7

Bantam Queen
7 Years
Apr 28, 2016
New York
I accidentally ended up with a frizzle chicken this year. I wasn't aware that he was a frizzle when I bought him, but he's a cochin bantam so I guess it's not a huge surprise. They can often be frizzled.
Anyway, the winters can get really cold where I live, and I was wondering if this would be a problem for him. Will he get too cold? If yes, how do I make sure he stays warm enough?

Last edited:
Do you have a good insulated coop? If so you should be fine, I saw some things saying that putting hay on snow makes it more comfortable to walk on. There's always the option of keeping them inside during the winter, but re-introducing would be hard especially because they're a bantam. Another option would be heating your coop at night, but you'd have to keep your other chickies in mind. Hope this helps :)

The coop isn't exactly insulated. I put up some extra plywood pieces inside to create double walls.
What concerns me the most is that the top of the coop is basically open except for some hardware cloth to protect the chickens against predators. The coop has a roof, but there's a gap between that and the hardware cloth. I just feel like there might be too much cold air going into the coop for him.
Maybe I could lay something over part of the opening to reduce the amount of cold air getting inside?

The coop isn't exactly insulated. I put up some extra plywood pieces inside to create double walls.
What concerns me the most is that the top of the coop is basically open except for some hardware cloth to protect the chickens against predators. The coop has a roof, but there's a gap between that and the hardware cloth. I just feel like there might be too much cold air going into the coop for him.
Maybe I could lay something over part of the opening to reduce the amount of cold air getting inside?
Yeah, Just having a completely closed coop with other birds in it should keep him warm. But once again, remember that the other chickens will be affected by it too. I'd slowly introduce the covering rather than all at once, so its not suddenly all warm and insulated especially if you have really cold resistant birds. You won't need to start doing that until it starts getting cold though, maybe late November.

I have one Frizzle in my flock. What ends up happening and working out well is that all my smooth feathered birds fly up to the roosts, leaving my single Frizzle on the ground alone. I put a heating plate down for him and he sleeps on that when it gets cold.
I have the same set up that you do with one Frizzle. What do you mean by a heating plate? I just bought a flat screen heater to attach to the wall where he lays on the ground. I put a pet warming cushion from a heated cat bed in there but he refuses to lay on it.

Back
Top Bottom