Will my guineas get along with a stray rooster and two young roosters that are really sweet

RiDaGeckoGuy

Songster
Jul 13, 2023
Pittsburgh county, OK
I have three free range chickens all roosters but two are thirteen weeks. I have some guineas that are a week old. Do you think that the guineas will get along with them. I’ve heard they kill roosters and I have a very protective rooster in my main run so they can’t live there because he protects the hens with his life and attacks anything that’s not a hen, his best freind, or a chick. I’m wondering if he will attack the Guineas and get himself killed, he’s a lavender Orpington and I really want to breed him with a guinea hen but I’m worried.

I have three free range chickens all roosters but two are thirteen weeks. I have some guineas that are a week old. Do you think that the guineas will get along with them. I’ve heard they kill roosters and I have a very protective rooster in my main run so they can’t live there because he protects the hens with his life and attacks anything that’s not a hen, his best freind, or a chick. I’m wondering if he will attack the Guineas and get himself killed, he’s a lavender Orpington and I really want to breed him with a guinea hen but I’m worried.
Forget about breeding your rooster to a guinea hen. If successful, and the egg makes it through to hatching, the offspring will be sterile and short lived.

Most rooster/guinea matings are due to people intentionally penning guineas in a small pen with a rooster.

What do you mean imprint
Young birds imprint very easily. If you handle them a lot, they will imprint on people. If you brood guinea keets with chicks, they will imprint on chickens.

The imprinting removes their ability to understand that there is a difference between them and whatever they were imprinted by.

Guineas imprinted by chickens don't understand there is a difference between guineas and chickens and will treat the chickens the same as they treat other guineas. Guineas have entirely different instincts than any other poultry. They understand other guineas. Other poultry do not understand guineas and do not know how to show submission in "guinea" causing the attacks to continue.

Guineas that are not imprinted by chickens will leave the chickens alone while free ranging.

Back
Top Bottom