Will My Hatchery Chicks Go Broody?

I had light brahmas and they never went broody for me, and neither have the Easter eggers. Out of 8 mature Orpingtons, 3 went broody last summer. This spring I have 11 mature Orps and so far 3 have gone broody and 1 is really thinking about it.

I've had hens go broody, that were bought as chicks from hatcheries.
They included:
Dark Cornish (standard size, from McMurray Hatchery)
2x Red Shouldered White Yokohama (from McMurray Hatchery)
White Laced Red Cornish (standard size, from Ideal Poultry)
Indian Red Jungle Fowl (from Ideal Poultry)
White Laced Red Cornish Bantam (from Ideal Poultry)
Spangled Cornish Bantam (from Ideal Poultry)
Black Tailed Buff Japanese Bantam (from Ideal Poultry)
Old English Game Bantams, several colors (from Ideal Poultry)

I'm sure there have been more, but that is what I can easily remember right now.

Out of 20 or so chickens from Meyer Hatchery, I've had two go broody (so far). One of my salmon Favorelles went broody this spring (I sold her to someone who wants a broody hen). Last summer my Silver Gray Dorking went broody 3 or 4 times, and I kept having to break her, which wasn't much fun. I didn't have a rooster then, the eggs couldn't have been more hopeless or infertile. I have eggs in the incubator now (we have since aquired a couple roos). I think I prefer hatching on my own terms/schedule. Plus it's fun to candle eggs and see the development, and to watch the chicks hatch.

I've had hens go broody, that were bought as chicks from hatcheries.
They included:
Dark Cornish (standard size, from McMurray Hatchery)
2x Red Shouldered White Yokohama (from McMurray Hatchery)
White Laced Red Cornish (standard size, from Ideal Poultry)
Indian Red Jungle Fowl (from Ideal Poultry)
White Laced Red Cornish Bantam (from Ideal Poultry)
Spangled Cornish Bantam (from Ideal Poultry)
Black Tailed Buff Japanese Bantam (from Ideal Poultry)
Old English Game Bantams, several colors (from Ideal Poultry)

I'm sure there have been more, but that is what I can easily remember right now.
My first hatchery or TSC breeds were 2 bantams ( probably OEGB), 1 Tetra Tint, and 1 red sex link. Both bantams were reliably broody and excellent mothers. Both crossed with my Svarte Hona roo and it seems all of the resulting pullets went broody as well.

Back
Top Bottom