Will My Hatchery Chicks Go Broody?

Sep 22, 2020
Texas United States
I bought 11 chickens from Ideal Poultry Texas, and I wanted to know if they would go broody. I heard that due to the fact they are hatcheries that they won't go broody, then I also heard that that doesn't affect if they will go broody. I bought nothing but broody breeds from this hatchery so they would keep the population up, but now im worried I bought them for no reason. 4 Wyandottes( 2 gold and 2 silver), 2 Barred Rocks, 2 Cuckoo Marans, 2 Easter Eggers(I know they aren't the best broodys but I took a chance) And 1 Buff orpington rooster.

I bought 11 chickens from Ideal Poultry Texas, and I wanted to know if they would go broody. I heard that due to the fact they are hatcheries that they won't go broody, then I also heard that that doesn't affect if they will go broody. I bought nothing but broody breeds from this hatchery so they would keep the population up, but now im worried I bought them for no reason. 4 Wyandottes( 2 gold and 2 silver), 2 Barred Rocks, 2 Cuckoo Marans, 2 Easter Eggers(I know they aren't the best broodys but I took a chance) And 1 Buff orpington rooster.
Also I bought them in September and are already laying.

I haven’t bought chicks from that particular hatchery but my a few of my Buff Orpingtons from McMurray and Hoover’s have gone broody. The first season they waited until the beginning of May but they are already broody this season. Hopefully yours will go broody soon.

I got my girls from a hatchery, and nearly all of them have gone broody. Broody really isn't a big deal though, unless you're into constant egg production. I just let my girls sit and be broody for as long as they want to be, and I can still collect the eggs out from under them. I really don't think being born in a hatchery has anything to do with broody probability at ALL.

I got my girls from a hatchery, and nearly all of them have gone broody. Broody really isn't a big deal though, unless you're into constant egg production. I just let my girls sit and be broody for as long as they want to be, and I can still collect the eggs out from under them. I really don't think being born in a hatchery has anything to do with broody probability at ALL.
Its less likely for hatcheries to produce broodies because they only keep the birds with the highest production and broody birds produce far fewer eggs

Also, I have an orpington, a brahma, and some speckled sussexs. Do you think they will go broody?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom