Will my hen start sitting soon?

howfunkyisurchicken

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2011
Tn
My turkey hen has 10-11 eggs now. She's in her approved, safe nesting site and has been surprisingly good about only laying there. The day before yesterday she spent all day and night on her eggs. Then yesterday she just laid an egg and went about her business. Today, she came out and got something to drink, relieved herself, got some food and headed for her nest. She's been sitting there all day. The last few times I went out to check on things, she was in the exact same spot, but facing a different direction each time I looked. I really, REALLY want to hatch out some poults this year. My last attempt at raising and breeding my own turkeys ended in me loosing my tom and being left with two hens. So, I get a new tom for those girls and they decide to hide their nests in the woods, and my favorite hen was lost to a predator. So, getting discouraged, I sold the pair to a friend who had a better set up. She ended up with 20something beautiful babies without a hitch, of course I was jealous. I gave her such a good deal on the pair and she was so happy with them she helped me get started again by giving me one of the babies. Well, this year hasn't been kind to her, she lost her tom just after her hen started laying, and she's pretty bummed, so I'm hoping to return the favor. Does my hens behavior mean she may start sitting soon? She's such a good girl, actually laying in the nest I made for her. She doesn't even try to get me when I check her nest for chicken eggs (which the chickens lay beside her, then she happily rolls the chickens egg into her own nest). Sorry for the ramble, but I've only had my turkey attempt to nest, with no actual results. And those girls were not about cooperating at all.

Before my turkey started sitting on eggs, she sat on her two eggs all day and night. So I popped three buff brahma eggs that had been incubated for a week under her. The next day she was off the nest for forty minutes to an hour. Then continued sitting on the eggs. I checked on the hen later and she was off again. She was just doing whatever she wanted. Then after that was over she has been sitting on her eggs for about two days so far. Hope this doesn't confuse you.

Back
Top Bottom