Will my Legbar hen have sex link chicks?

BarnwoodCoop

Songster
Jul 16, 2020
UK
First off- i have NO idea how chicken genetics works lol, all the answers i’ve tried to find have been very confusing and i just wanna ask a very specific question.
Our hen passed last night, she had been taken by a fox.
I’m super upset about this, but i can’t help thinking about her eggs! They’re bright blue- the only blue ones we’ve ever had, and since we know they certainly belong to her, i’m curious about giving her a legacy. we did this also for our rooster a few years ago, and i really love seeing him in them.

My question is- since she was a sex linked/autosexed chick, will her chicks have even a slight chance of being too? All of the roosters that would’ve fertilized the eggs are hybrids, so i understand this is probably not the case.
Any help would be appreciated, i’m not educated on the topic, and i’d love to learn so our hen lives on in a way.

They would be sex linked as long as the roosters didn't have barring.
Barring is sexlinked so she will pass it to her sons and they will be barred. She won't pass it to the daughters so they won't be barred.
Barred chicks hatch with a yellow spot on their heads.
The key will be how well you'll be able to see it. For Example if your rooster has dominant White like red sex links the chicks can be born almost completely yellow. You won't be able to tell on those.

They would be sex linked as long as the roosters didn't have barring.
Barring is sexlinked so she will pass it to her sons and they will be barred. She won't pass it to the daughters so they won't be barred.
Barred chicks hatch with a yellow spot on their heads.
The key will be how well you'll be able to see it. For Example if your rooster has dominant White like red sex links the chicks can be born almost completely yellow. You won't be able to tell on those.
thank you so much for replying ! this really helped - none of our roosters are white or anything close to it, all dark browns/oranges/ blacks! Thanks for helping out, it’s much appreciated :)

Back
Top Bottom