will my meat chicken kill my layers???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickfarmer1, Mar 25, 2012.

1. chickfarmer1

chickfarmer1 New Egg

Mar 25, 2012
    I was told that if i mix my meat chicken with my egg layers when its time to coop them that the meat chickens will kill the layers.. Is this true?

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    It is highly doubtful.

Are your meat chickens a cornish cross?

If so, they really don't do much other than eat, poop, eat, poop, and on. I would not worry at all.

3. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    agreed. If anything, it would be more likely that the layers could kill the meat birds

4. chickfarmer1

chickfarmer1 New Egg

Mar 25, 2012
    Thanks alot!! and yes they are cornish rocks..

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Oh heavens no!

My adolescent layers were harder on my meaties. Just make sure they have enough space, and more than one feeder so no one can dominate all the feed, and everything should be fine. Plus, the meaties are gone in like 8 weeks, so any problems will be short lived!

6. Zach123

Zach123 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    Denver, Colorado
    Doubtful. I mean its possible, the cornish rocks and the egg layers will all be in the same "flock"(y/n?) so I assume they will bicker to establish dominance just like any other group of chickens and that can lead to loss of life, though highly unlikely. I dont know really anything about cornish rocks, since I have never in my life met one, let alone owned one, but it seems that the general consensus here is that they are extremely docile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by