Will my pekin duck hatch her own eggs?

bcullom

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 23, 2013
My female pekin "Oats" is a great layer and nest builder, and I'd like to let her hatch her own eggs. However, she just keeps laying more and more eggs and never starts roosting on them. She was up to 20 eggs and one on the bottom had broken so I took them out. I've read that a lot of pekins have lost their roosting instinct from over breeding, just wondering if there is anything I can do to encourage her. Any advice is much appreciated.
smile.png

Some do, some don't. My Muscovies are very broody, excellent mothers; my Pekin hen is strictly lay 'em and forget 'em.

"Roosting" means sitting on perches or trees; "brooding" is the word you mean, the maternal desire to incubate, hatch and raise her own young.

Last edited:
Someone described it to me as Pekin ADD. Many, not all, lose interest in their nest pretty quick. They will lay all their eggs and then begin the "sitting" process for all of the eggs at the same time. But, there is a good chance she won't sit on her nest. But, I'm not sure how to " encourage" her to sit for the whole month it takes.

Back
Top Bottom