Will my pullets lay through winter?

I have four pullets at 27 weeks, still nothing. I do leave a light on for them. I'm new to the egg waiting and feeling a bit let down. I finally bought eggs last night as I am graving eggs and bacon. The weird thing is the two breeds. 3 Golden Cuckoo Marans and 1 Penciled Plymouth Rock.

Last year I had 10 pullets that hatched June 30/July 1. They didn’t lay until January. This year I hatched a batch in April and those pullets are the only consistent ones laying right now. The older hens are molting and such, laying very little. Hopefully these 5 pullets will pull us through the short days. I don’t do supplemental lighting. I let it happen the natural way. If things got bad and we couldn’t get eggs anywhere else, I’d definitely light ‘em up!

I have four pullets at 27 weeks, still nothing. I do leave a light on for them. I'm new to the egg waiting and feeling a bit let down. I finally bought eggs last night as I am graving eggs and bacon. The weird thing is the two breeds. 3 Golden Cuckoo Marans and 1 Penciled Plymouth Rock.
Yeah it is quite annoying as I’m quite impatient but I was expecting some eggs by now at least and if I don’t get any in the coming weeks I think I will be waiting until spring

Mine have just laid their first egg today surprisingly enough. Light green colour

Last year I had 10 pullets that hatched June 30/July 1. They didn’t lay until January. This year I hatched a batch in April and those pullets are the only consistent ones laying right now. The older hens are molting and such, laying very little. Hopefully these 5 pullets will pull us through the short days. I don’t do supplemental lighting. I let it happen the natural way. If things got bad and we couldn’t get eggs anywhere else, I’d definitely light ‘em up!
Cheers for the help, they’ve actually just layed their first egg today and it was a little light green egg which is pretty cool!

It all depends on the bird. My pullets started laying in Feb of this year and I didn't have to wait until spring like I thought. If they do start before winter, you can expect them to keep laying all winter long, first year pullets usually do. And they won't need lighting to lay
Surprisingly enough they’ve just laid their first egg today and it was a little light green coloured which is pretty cool!

Mine have just laid their first egg today surprisingly enough. Light green colour
I got one wed.(didn't see it) I almost didn't see the second from thurs. because I thought they were both the fake one. I've been preoccupied as I found one of my 12 week old pullets unable to walk when I went to let them out this morning. My celebration is going to end in misery I worried,

Attachments

• 257736570_231769495813534_2571337605312743512_n.jpg
    257736570_231769495813534_2571337605312743512_n.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom