Will my rooster harm my baby chicks?

Ajironside

Hatching
May 23, 2018
I have an established rooster who is by himself in the coop right now. I bought a new flock of 6 chicks to put in with him. They are almost 9 weeks old, have their full feathers, and have been in a side by side coop next to him for about 4 weeks now.

My question is, when is it safe to put the young hens into the coop with him. I do not want him to hurt them. He has been rough when breeding with hens in the past. I would be so upset if he killed them by trying to jump on them too early. There are no established hens in the coop right now, and he does seem to want to look after the new ones. He follows them around, perches in front of them, and seems to be trying to show them how to be a chicken

All advice is welcome! Thank you!!!!

Aj

I've had roosters who are horrible to chicks and some that are sweet babysitters. I would let the chicks walk around with him for a while and observe how he acts from a distance. If after a while you see no aggressive behavior, I think it would be safe for the chicks to be with him at least sometimes.

I tried this once with three pullets and he killed the youngest, was mean to one of the POL aged ones, and danced like crazy for the one he liked. It was a disaster. The behavior you're describing isn't especially promising. If he was tidbitting (dropping food and calling to them), I'd try it. But no, I would not just toss them into an enclosure with him just because he follows their movements. That could mean other things (like he is looking for a chance to establish dominance or drive them away).

I tried this once with three pullets and he killed the youngest, was mean to one of the POL aged ones, and danced like crazy for the one he liked. It was a disaster. The behavior you're describing isn't especially promising. If he was tidbitting (dropping food and calling to them), I'd try it. But no, I would not just toss them into an enclosure with him just because he follows their movements. That could mean other things (like he is looking for a chance to establish dominance or drive them away).

Thank you! So, I should look for him taking food to them. He does crow to them. What other behaviors should I look for? They are ok in their side by side runs for a while.

IMG_20180331_155440.jpg

Back
Top Bottom