Will my run begin to stink if......

MooreFamilyFarm

In the Brooder
May 1, 2017
Just curious if I need to add anything to the floor of our run. Its mainly gravel as you can see and has a bit of grass here and there. Its not covered, and we live in WA state where rain is abundant. Will the poo decompose easily on this surface or should I add anything to aid decomposition? Also should I consider a tarp over the run area due to rain?? Its a pretty big run and im not sure I could cover it all with a tarp. I dont want any smell and want to keep it as sanitary for our hens as possible and keep the neighbors happy with a fresh smell.

Attachments

• run.jpg
    run.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 13
I live in Western Pennsylvania where it rains a lot. I have a covered run and I just love it. it stays dry it's great. it doesn't stink . I wonder if your run is as big as 10 by 20 . one thing to consider would be to check on Craigslist and see if you can come up with the aluminum frame work for one of those 10 by 20 carports. without the tarp or with the tarp. you never know. then what I did was I actually built a framework over the top of my run. it's not quite as big as yours . then go to someplace like Harbor Freight and buy one of their big blue tarps. then go to Walmart and get those bungees that have the red ball on the end. run them thru the grommets on the tarp. then put a nail on your upright further down and wrap the bungee around the nail so it pulls the tarp tight but not too tight .that way when the wind blows the elastic bungee has enough given it that your tarp won't rip. I've had my top go through 50 mile an hour winds and not rip because the bungee gives it kind of an elastic spring. not too much just a little. any rate that's what I did. if there's not enough wrong holes in the bungee you can go ahead and buy a little grommeting kit and add more grommets and that makes it even more secure.
Best,
Karen

Covered coops/runs would stink worse in my opinion than uncovered because the rain washes away a lot of the poop, but your run/yard does need to be where it will drain----if it holds water---you will have a worse stink problem.

Too much water makes poop soup, especially on hard packed ground. If there is no organic carbon based material to provide the balance needed for decomposition to occur then the poop just sits there. Rain may flatten the poops out, but the whole top layer of it will be poop-covered and then get stinky, slick and slippery every time it rains.

I'd cover at least a portion of the run. I'd also break up the soil that's there and start some deep litter over the top of it. Add wood chips, dried leaves, cut grass (some fresh, some dry), chopped straw, hay, pine shavings, and any yard waste you can get your hands on.

I'd also look at installing a gutter on that roof to direct rain run-off away from the run.

Good advice talkalittle,
a dry run is much easier to clean than wet run . been there done that.
Best ,
Karen

Too much water makes poop soup, especially on hard packed ground. If there is no organic carbon based material to provide the balance needed for decomposition to occur then the poop just sits there. Rain may flatten the poops out, but the whole top layer of it will be poop-covered and then get stinky, slick and slippery every time it rains.

I'd cover at least a portion of the run. I'd also break up the soil that's there and start some deep litter over the top of it. Add wood chips, dried leaves, cut grass (some fresh, some dry), chopped straw, hay, pine shavings, and any yard waste you can get your hands on.

I'd also look at installing a gutter on that roof to direct rain run-off away from the run.
X2

Our run is covered so stays dry for the most part. We do Deep Litter out there and have no flies, odor or mud issues.
The poop gets scratched into the litter materials and decomposes. There is about 5-6" of straw, hay, leaves, grass clippings, pine needles and garden weeds.

Would it work if I rake all the gravel out? It's just dirt underneath, from these replies seems I should strongly consider a tarp over the run when fall comes along with the rain.

Would it work if I rake all the gravel out? It's just dirt underneath, from these replies seems I should strongly consider a tarp over the run when fall comes along with the rain.
The tarp unless UV protected will not last long plus when you install it---it has to be done right or it will collect/hold water, then the weight of the water will collapse the kennel and could destroy or kill whats below.

Back
Top Bottom