Will my tame lone chick except a new friend if I buy another chick

Featherzzz

In the Brooder
6 Years
I have a question: There is alot of chickens walking around on the farm where I rent a cottage and I picked up a lonely chick and tried to find its mother but I couldnt see a hen with babies nearby so I looked further and saw a hen with babies so I put the chick there with her but she bit him on his back so I took him home and put him under a lamp. Its been a week since I picked him up and hes very tame but he screames his but off when I cant hold him witch is most of the time as his quiet demanding.

When I hold him he wants to be in my hair and he picks at my face because I have pimpels and it hurts so I try not to hold him to much. Will he except a new friend if I buy another chick because I saw chicks that looks like they are the same age as him at a pet shop today. The thing is I think he thinks his a human because I think I picked him up just after he hatched he was so small and just laying there he was a little bit wet. He was screaming and laying there and then moving a bit forward and then just laying there again and I felt so sorry for him and now hes a real little demanding fellow but I love him to bits I just dont want him to be screaming so much because it obviosly means his not happy

Thank you I will get him a friend or two tomorow. Its night here now I might buy more than one because they are all so cute I think I will not be able to pick just one but cant get to much of them because I am a student and I go home over the holidays here and then I dont know who will look after the chickens. Maybe I can let them free range with the other chickens on the farm when they are older but i will have to ask the owner of the farm first

Awww okay that makes sense. I can get him two or three friends I just spoke to my friend too and he said that he will take care of them on his parents farm when I go home for the holidays and he will build me a chicken tractor too for when the babies are older. The pet shop said that the chicks there are hens because they were bred to be born a specific colour when they are hens and another colour when they are cocks so they will be able to sell me hen chicks so that I dont have just cocks

Good. That's called feather sexing. It's always a good plan to have backup chicken sitters. Chicks grow very fast so adult housing is in your immediate future.

Thanks for your help
smile.png
My boyfriend is obsesed now he keeps looking for designs for the chicken tractor online now and then he says I love the chick more than him now but I jokingly ansered that he shouldnt worry I'm not into chicks I still like guys haha. Anyway what I'm getting at is hes overly exited to get going on building there house so I will have a tractor coop thingie soon.

Back
Top Bottom