1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will not bear weight on foot, limping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hrairoo, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Hrairoo

Hrairoo Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my hybrid hens will not bear weight on one of her feet! She's between 6 months and a year. Her foot looks fine, but she holds it up and will not let it touch the ground most of the time, and when she does, it bears little to no weight. This has been happening for a week now. She is free ranged on my 8 acres with 27 other chickens... She gets around alright, but not as well as she could, and Im worried she's in pain. what do you think could be wrong?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You need to handle her and check out if there is an injury, skin tear, bone or ligament problem.

3. Hrairoo

Hrairoo Chillin' With My Peeps

As I said, her foot looks fine! I have picked her up a few times and given in a good look and feel, and it seems fine! How can I tell if there is damage?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by