Will not use roosting poles

Bubba8

Hatching
Sep 27, 2019
Wa state
Hello.
Just a built a huge chicken coop. I installed roosting poles higher then the roosting boxes. First I used 2x4's on edge, then 1 1/2" closet poles then 2" closet poles but none of them will sit on the poles. They are either in their boxes all the time or just stand on the shelf I built under the poles to catch the poop. Is this bad for them medically? Wondering if their feet will deform or something. Any help would be appreciated. Can send pictures.
Chickens are weird by the way.

Thank you, love this forum

Thanks for the help. I will take pictures. Ther is a lip they can land on in front of the poles. Not a big one. There is a pretty steep ramp going up to the poles. I will take pictures.

Thanks again!

Sounds good. Sometimes it's not the actual poles that are the problem, but for some reason the birds don't like how they have to get up and down off them. If a wall is too close or nest box or something in the coop seems like an obstruction they might avoid going up there.

Sometimes it's just birds being stubborn and old habits being hard to break too.

Photos will help a lot.

Also have these birds ever roosted before? Like in a previous coop, or at the farm you got them from, etc. Or are they young birds that haven't been trained to do so?

Yup...pics.

..and how old are you birds?

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC! @Bubba8
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-9-27_16-55-29.png

Photos will help a lot.

Also have these birds ever roosted before? Like in a previous coop, or at the farm you got them from, etc. Or are they young birds that haven't been trained to do so?

We bought them 5 months ago. I live in the pacific NW. We got them about a year old. None of them seem interested in sitting on the poles. Heard if they don't they can have problems wit their feet?
I took some pictures.

Thank you again.

Attachments

• IMG_1724.JPG
    IMG_1724.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1726.JPG
    IMG_1726.JPG
    530.4 KB · Views: 32

Back
Top Bottom