will our hens ever lay?

After having my hens for weeks and weeks, I now know that Chickens don't lay eggs.

Eggs are artifically manufactured behind closed doors out of 17 highly protected secret ingredients. Attaching the "chicken" concept to the egg is just a marketing ploy.

chickencat...I hope you are telling the truth If you aren't.... we will all be doing this

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I swear I'm telling the truth! My girls free range all day, they get all the veggies out of the garden, scraps left over from supper and all thelaying mash they may want to consume. I have EGGS!
love.gif
:celebrate. YOU will have eggs also, Soon.
ya.gif

okay, here's the skinny, 5 hens all 23 weeks old. 2 buff orphingtons, laying since 19 weeks and almost one per day each. 3 americaunas, 2 of which are laying almost one per day each and 1 has laid one measly teeny tiny egg, about 1". Really ready for the stew pot on the lazy one. How long should I wait until it gets the ax?
lol.png

Last edited:
Quote:
If you're referring to the tiny egg, you need to give her time. Most pullet eggs start out small and get bigger as time goes by.

Quote:
Sure is. I got 16 Red Stars shipped from Cackle Hatchery on March 30 and found my first eggs on August 16. That's 139 days.

RSD

There is a definite difference between heritage and hatchery breeds. I have a flock of over 100 birgs. I got a few heritage breeds from TSC in early March this year, and a load of pearl white leghorns from McMurray hatchery that arrived late March and have hatched out a bunch more since then. OK... the PWLs started laying at 16 to 17 weeks. I have 5 brown leghorns that just started laying this week (28 weeks) the same with my silver brahmas, they started this week. I have a few other heritage breeds that I'm still waiting on. (Polish, Cornish, Barred Rocks) I've raised a lot of chickens,, there is something in the air (seems like) this year... I don't know if they sense an early fall or what, but the truth of it all is; they will start, and when they do,,,, lay they will! You'll go from "Where's my eggs" to "What the heck am I gonna do with these eggs!" Trust me on this!
thumbsup.gif

put a couple of golf balls in each nest, the weight of the golf balls is close to that of an egg. golf balls worked better for me than plastic eggs.

I asked this very question every day for weeks! Finally at 25 weeks I started getting one egg daily from a Barred Rock...Then three days ago, I started getting two eggs a day....At 26weeks old--I am getting 2 eggs from 12 pullets!!!

My son came to see the eggs and stated: "The only problem I see with those eggs is, it will take 48 of them to make dad an omelet!"

They are tiny but I am so happy to get any size at this point...

Point of Lay--ain't all it's cracked up to be!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom