Will point of lay be delayed due to winter?

I had some that did start in the middle of winter and others that waited until spring.
There is no overall answer to this, its an individual thing.
I have some that just started laying yesterday, went out and found some blue eggs from my easter egger pullets and some of my marans began laying two weeks ago.
I have some that just got over a moult and also began laying again this past week, I got 12 eggs yesterday, so its a case by case basis.

Quote:
(Interesting.... I just noticed the "quote" button in the bottom right-hand corner of the post. I wondered how you guys had been doing that. Duh!!) Anyways... it sounds like if I want egg production to continue through the winter I'm going to need to get some new chicks each spring. Hmmmm!!

The marans were hatched in June so that makes them just about 6 months old and the easter eggers I hatched in april and they are 8 months, all of my easter eggers no matter what season they hatched in ever lay before 7-8 months, not sure why but they always lay later than my other breeds.

Laying eggs is much like giving birth, there are certain conditions that are absolutely necessary and other conditions that are always questionable? Laying hens should always be subject to a minimun of fourteen hours of light. They have a gland in the eye that triggers their bodies to create the egg and it's the light that triggers that gland. Even a candle in the dark will trigger the gland, not that I recommend candles. But for some that are concerned about cost all you need is a twentyfive watt bulb. The cost is very miniscule. With some breeds excessive cold and hot temps will cause them to shut down their laying. Try to keep them comfortable and out of the drafts and you should with enough hours of light get eggs. Good luck.

Quote:
Thank you!

Laying eggs is much like giving birth, there are certain conditions that are absolutely necessary and other conditions that are always questionable? Laying hens should always be subject to a minimun of fourteen hours of light. They have a gland in the eye that triggers their bodies to create the egg and it's the light that triggers that gland. Even a candle in the dark will trigger the gland, not that I recommend candles. But for some that are concerned about cost all you need is a twentyfive watt bulb. The cost is very miniscule. With some breeds excessive cold and hot temps will cause them to shut down their laying. Try to keep them comfortable and out of the drafts and you should with enough hours of light get eggs. Good luck.

Thank you too.​

Back
Top Bottom