Will polystyrene/styrofoam hurt quails?

ButtonBag

Songster
Jun 23, 2020
London, UK
I've got some button quails in a large vivarium that came with a polystyrene background in it. They seem to peck at it now and then and I'm wondering if it's harmful for them to ingest? The are still eating and drinking as normal. Is there any sort of bird-safe coating or sealant I might be able to put on it? I've seen people cover them with tile grout and repaint for reptiles.

Styrofoam will get stuck to things from static and it can possible choke your quail.

That setup is made for a lizard or reptile not a button quail.

I would remove it because it’s not worth losing button quail over. Get them fake plants and hide outs instead.

It's certainly not going to do them any good. At best it will fill their stomachs with completely non digestible material, at worst, it may cause them crop of digestive issues.

I don't know much about sealants, so I would start researching pet-safe, non-toxic sealants.

Styrofoam will get stuck to things from static and it can possible choke your quail.

That setup I made for a lizard or reptile not a button quail.

I would remove it because it’s not worth losing button quail over. Get them fake plants and hide outs instead.

They have plenty of fake plants and hideouts. I was planning to remove it but wanted to check if I was worrying over nothing as I'd seen plenty of people saying it's not a problem for chickens. Thanks for the advice.

They have plenty of fake plants and hideouts. I was planning to remove it but wanted to check if I was worrying over nothing as I'd seen plenty of people saying it's not a problem for chickens. Thanks for the advice.
I had a few chickens who ate styrofoam and they all got impacted crops. It was the insulation we used.

It’s no fun to deal with!

Back
Top Bottom