1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will possums hurt my chickens?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mmch618, Jan 2, 2014.

1. mmch618

mmch618 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2013
    Today when I went out to collect eggs, my neighbor saw me and told me about a possum that had started living under her shed. She said to watch out for my chickens because possums eat chickens. Is this true? If it is what can i do to protect my chickens? My girls are my babies and id be devestated if anything happened to them.

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Yes, opossums will hurt your chickens. Make the coop predator-proof to keep them out. Trap and destroy any that remain behind. Inspect the area to eliminate any hiding places for them.

Chris

3. cochinator

cochinator Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2013
    It's certainly possible but they are not nearly as viscous as coons or weasels. They tend to take the path of least resistance and unlike weasels who kill for sport opossums are more looking for an easy meal than a chicken per se. I have found possums inside my chicken coop with no harm to the birds and I know people who have inadvertently locked a possum in their coop overnight with no harm. But I have also heard of possums eating chickens too.

You can probably trap it pretty easy with a $30 trap from Harbor Freight.

4. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    They will eat chicks/chickens. So I would try to trap and shoot them.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by