Will pullets start laying or is it late in the season

Pics
They do squat when I approach them, I was going to start oyster shell when they start laying and laying feed or should I start that now. Thank you

Yes, you could start putting some oyster shell in a bowl or container on the side. They will eat what they feel that they need. Good luck with those egg's!

Thanks for this thread! Most of my pullets are just over 20 weeks old and I was wondering the same thing. Wattles and combs are starting to brighten and they have been checking out the nesting boxes for at least a month. My cockerel of the same age has also started mating with them, but no squatting from them yet.

I wondered if they’d wait til spring but I live on the Central Coast of California so our winters are very mild (it freezes from time to time but doesn’t snow) and hoped that wouldn’t be a deterrent for them.

Your welcome! What breed's do you have?
I have in group 1 - Buff Orpingtons, Silver laced Wyandotte, gold laced wyandottes and leghorns; total of 8.
Group 2 - Plymouth barred rocks, black Australorps and black Jersey gaints; total of 8
Group 3 - white rocks, lavender Orphingtons and a barred rock; total of 6
Group 4 - slw, blrw, blue langshan and lavender Orphingtons; total of 8 and a total of 30, the groups are by age and group 1 is the oldest at 20 to 25 weeks old.

I have in group 1 - Buff Orpingtons, Silver laced Wyandotte, gold laced wyandottes and leghorns; total of 8.
Group 2 - Plymouth barred rocks, black Australorps and black Jersey gaints; total of 8
Group 3 - white rocks, lavender Orphingtons and a barred rock; total of 6
Group 4 - slw, blrw, blue langshan and lavender Orphingtons; total of 8 and a total of 30, the groups are by age and group 1 is the oldest at 20 to 25 weeks old.

That's a big selection of breed's. Do you plan to hatch your own egg's later? I'm doing the Naked Neck's over here. They do better in the higher summer heat over here in the desert.

Back
Top Bottom