Will pullets start laying or is it late in the season

First year pullets for some reason, aren't really as sensitive to the days shortening as hens past their 1st or 2nd winter. Yours could start laying anytime, there's no rule when they start, it's apparently only when they feel like it. My pullets from last year (May hatch) didn't start laying until December and January but the last one held out until March. (she was 10 months old!)

If you plan to keep your cockerel, it would be best to skip layer feed entirely and go with Flock Raiser or All Flock instead. It's a complete feed appropriate for mixed genders and ages. Just be sure to offer oyster shell in a separate container for the girls... layers need a surprising amount of calcium to produce an egg.
Thank you, that means my 2nd group that is 18 weeks old may still lay this year,

I'd leave them on the grower, but put out some OS in a separate container.
Keep the BOSS to a minimum, fatty they don't need.
They may lay yet this year, or not until near or after solstice.

I've got 21wo's that look ready to lay but pelvis bones are still tight.

30 birds is a lot!
How big is coop and run, in feet by feet?
Do you free range at all?

I'd leave them on the grower, but put out some OS in a separate container.
Keep the BOSS to a minimum, fatty they don't need.
They may lay yet this year, or not until near or after solstice.

I've got 21wo's that look ready to lay but pelvis bones are still tight.

30 birds is a lot!
How big is coop and run, in feet by feet?
Do you free range at all?
The coop is 12' X 14' and the coop is raised 3' is used as an additional to the run, which is 12' X 40' that's 648 sq ft of run. Not able to free range to many predators (raccoons, possums that come out in the day as well as the night, then we have owls, hawks, and red foxes).
What is BOSS?

The coop is 12' X 14' and the coop is raised 3' is used as an additional to the run, which is 12' X 40' that's 648 sq ft of run. Not able to free range to many predators (raccoons, possums that come out in the day as well as the night, then we have owls, hawks, and red foxes).
What is BOSS?
Sounds like great space, would love to see pics.
Black Oil Sunflower Seeds.

I think at least a few of your pullets might start laying before the spring. I just started my flock in May. I didn't want to be disappointed, so I decided not to expect any eggs until the days started getting longer. However, at least 2 of my 13 pullets started laying Oct 22nd. Since then I think at least one more has started laying. We've collected 10 eggs in 5 days. It is so much fun to find them! I figure any eggs I get between now and spring is an unexpected bonus. Good luck, and be sure to let us know when they start laying. :)

Last edited:
Thank you, If that's not good for them I'll stop. I'll try to get some pics later today
It's OK, just keep the amount down...can't tell ya exactly how much is 'OK'...but they are quite fatty.
With feeding a 20% feed, scratch grains would be another 'treat' to give...again in moderation.

I have 8 pullets ( 20 to 25weeks old) that their crowns and waddles are turning red, but is it to late in the year for them to start laying?
I am still feeding them a 20% grower feed (available all the time) with alfalfa and black sunflower seeds as treats twice a week. Thank you for any advice and comments.
I live in northern Minnesota and have 29 pullets and 4 cockerels, they are 4 months 3 weeks old and 5 of my Pullets are laying. My Calico princess started laying at 3 1/2 months old, my Midnight Majesty Marans at 4 months old and one Easter Egger started 4 days ago. Here is a photo. I hope they get larger eggs when they are adults. The Marans are not that dark, I may order some Black Copper Marans some day.
IMG_0137.jpg

Back
Top Bottom