will quial use ramps in cages?

I know I leave the cage doors open to my Button Quails all day long in my living room and alot of times the ones from the cages that sit on the floor, the birds come out and walk around, and sometimes they walk back up the ramp and go back in the cages. I also have a loft in one of the cages and I know the birds in that cage will flutter up to the loft, there is no ramp to the loft. I have alot of bridges in the cages and I know they will go up and down the bridges also. So I guess it would be if you taught them to go up the ramps to the different levels and didn't make it so steep they could walk up them, they might. Mine do.

I did a cage with ramps:
SANY1330.jpg

They tended to get stuck on one level or the other. They also had to have a very wide base under the ramp and I replaced that brick with one that went all the way across the width of the tank but had holes through it so they could still run across the bottom. With the first brick only being about as wide as the ramps they would just keep running down one ramp and up the other never hopping down or they'd hop down and forget they could hop up and just run back and forth between the brick and the glass. They had to have a visual barrier they would run into, jump on, and then go up the ramp. Same for going down. The ramp has to end so that they find themselves back on the cage floor. They will not make it up 3 levels and do not put food up a level unless they are at some point forced to go up to cross the cage. Some may never go up. Mine just never seemed to quite get the concept of ramps and levels. They simply run over whatever object gets in their way and follow it. If a single ramp went up to a door it might work since they would head for the door and the ramp would be there to channel them up or down. Giving them too many options though seems to lead to lost birds that may not make it to food or water.

I am scrapping this idea, they will live in a nice aviary that is about 1000sqft instead of a leveled cage.

Back
Top Bottom