will quial use ramps in cages?

Jarhead

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
Arkansas
In a multi level enclosure will quail use a ramp to move from 1 level to another? I was thinking of a 3 level cage setup, but if they won't use it no reason to build it. Here is what I was thinking. Bottom level would be ground, top level would take over some nest boxes that my hens don't use inside the coop, those would be sealed off so the chickens would not be able to get to them. The nest boxes would act as a roof over the middle and bottom levels. The mid and bottom levels would be made from 1/2" hardware cloth. The mid and bottom levels would be 12" tall x 12" wide x 7' long and the top enclosed level would be 12" tall x 12" wide x 4' long. This would be for 4 or 5 birds. What do you think will they use the levels and move between them?

for only 4 to 5 birds i would take the HW cloth and make a 2' x 2' x 1' pen and just put something over the top for shelter

4 or 5 is what we would start with, but we want them to have plenty of room either way. Plus it would be incorporated into an existing structure, which we like. So would they use the ramps and go from level to level?

Well then maybe that's not the best idea. Will they use a door to go outside on the same level and go back inside? We just want them to have as much space as possible with access to an outside run.

I do not know the answer to this. But I might here soon. I have a 3 level ferret cage that I am going to try my coturnix in. I want to try to put them in there some time after this coming friday. I need to get smaller wire to put over the wire that exists for the other 2 levels. Ill let you know how it goes..

ETA that I have 8 of the right now. But soon there will only be 3 or 4.

Last edited:
I had my buttons in a multi-level cage, they all stayed on the bottom. Eventually I had to divide the cage top and bottom to get them to branch out. I imagine coturnix would be the same way.

I made a 2 level mini arc for my first venture (2 weeks ago) into quail.
upstairs was the bedroom
smile.png
I had to lift them up eery night and close the flap, when I opened the flap they would eventually all fall back to the bottom.
I have a single level cage now!

I don't have as much experience as most on the board, but quail (most quail) , tend to like single level "ranch" style accommodations.

A split foyer, with loft and basement is over kill. They tend to go to the lowest level and chill.

Just build a bigger 1 story pen if you need more space. Forget about the 3 story with gabled ceilings and a spiral stare case. Just build a single story pen with as much floor space as you can provide.

My best guess...

Ken

Back
Top Bottom