Will raccoons try to open egg boxes to get into the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mediazeal, Apr 20, 2009.

1. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    I'm finishing up my first coop. We attached the egg box today.
    A neighbor with chickens just has bricks sitting on her egg box lid. I'm wondering if I need raccoon proof locks.

All the hardware cloth in the world won't protect the chicks if the egg box gives access.

Just wondering what you all have done to secure the lids of eggboxes or if you worry about it.

2. emilyweck

emilyweck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    Absolutely! The only proof I have had experience with is a padlock and key. The key can be close, just not in the lock. Those little critters are smart and worst of all, they are persistent! Take precautions!

3. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    YES!!! you need raccoon proof locks!!! They can turn over a full garbage can, a brick is too easy!!! Make sure that the lock is something that their little hands can't open!!

Good Luck!!

Cindy

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

We put heavy concrete block on top of a metal trashcan and the raccoons dumped it off. They are strong!

5. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Can raccoons open carabiners? We used those on the locks to our coop. I'm going to move them out in a few days and I want them to be secure.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:If you talk to pet-raccoon or raccoon-wildlife-rehabilitator type people, they suggest padlocks, period. Or failing that, a series of double-ended snaps that cannot all be accessed.

I use padlocks on my tractor; keep the key hanging right there on a handy hook so it is not too much of a nuisance.

Certainly I doubt *many* raccoons could unscrew the little whosit on a carbiner. So it kind of comes down to how lucky you feel [​IMG]

Good luck,

Pat

7. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Thanks folks
    I will install locking closers that require a key.
    Glad to know I'm not just being paranoid
    thanks!!

8. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    padlocks,,on all doors,on all nest box doors,I have the keys hanging on nails above the locks within easy reach,get the bundle package of padlocks that use the same key,no problems with lost keys that way,, [​IMG]

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Padlocks here...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by