Will Radio keep predators away?

Lazys

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 26, 2014
Forgive me if this has been discussed, I tried to search and haven't seen it. I haven't had chickens for awhile and am getting back into them. I am wondering if I play a radio in the chicken house at night will that keep possums and coons away? We seem to have a lot of possums around and I am worried. Seems like it is hard to keep them out of things.

You have to use more than one tactic to keep predators away. Predator proof the chicken house and run by burying poultry netting or other material around the outside. Make sure the top of the run is covered (if they will be in a run) and that there are no openings. Yes talk radio helps, but I think if you leave it on all night, predators will get used to it. Put the radio on a timer, or turn it on and off at varying times throughout the day and night if you want. We use motion sensor lights outside the barn too. There's also a motion activated sprinkler you can buy that's designed to repel predators, for wherever you have a need, including in the garden. It makes a noise when it's activated as well as spraying water. It's solar powered. It might also have a motion activated light on it. I've read that it works great, thinking of maybe getting one, as I think we could use it in several ways, including keeping deer off our young trees, as well as at the barn. Whatever you use, it's always best to rotate methods or introduce new ones once in a while

I keep one on 24-7. Its tuned into a talk radio station that I can't stand but its the only one I can tune into. Keeping the coop predator proof is #1. I don't have opossums but raccoons are around. The old barn is not 100% but a hot wire,dogs and the radio do the trick. I have not lost a bird in the coop.

I think if you leave it on all the time the predators get used to it. I know the raccoons do. They are very bold, and I think the foxes would get used to it too. That's why I like to turn it on and off, I think it's more like real conversation, and people coming and going. But whatever works.

Back
Top Bottom