Will roosters constantly fight?

yokobunbun

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 18, 2010
I have two roos that are around a year old, today they started fighting out of nowhere.
They were seriously fighting, not just chasing each other, but like making each other bleed.
I have them separated for the time being.
Will they keep fighting until one kills the other, or is this just a little spat?

Do you have hens too? They should establish a pecking order where one will be the alpha, but will tolerate the other. I doubt they will fight to the death. We have eight roos, who basically get along. Some even hang out together. There are some spats, but nothing lasting. But one of them is separated from the others unless he is supervised, because he was beaten up severely once, and suffered some eye damage. So you just have to look at each individual case, and sort of monitor it. You might want to let the roo who is lower in the order out, but only under supervision while you monitor what is going on and determine how well they will get along. They should settle down.

I have 10 hens right now, and some silkies but they are only two months old.
I tried putting the more timid roo on the other side of shed which is separated with wire and they tried fighting through the wire.
I've never seen them fight this way.
I'm very scared because the more aggressive and dominant roo has killed before.

Last edited:
Well fighting through the wire won't kill either one. Maybe you should just keep them separated then, if you can. Give each of em
a couple of hens eventually.

Most roo's are going to be agressive to other roo's at one point or another.If you have hen's it's even worse.I've sadly had some beaten up bloody roo's in the past in free range time.I have a couple 4/5 month's old now being pesky and picking and none of the hens in that coop ready to lay yet.I got a Cochin roo and a sebright now getting ready for time out's.Nature is what it is it's up to you to seperate them and protect your investment they can seriously damage each other if left to spar.

The answer to your question??? Absolutely, yes. You will have to either give them away, sell them, cull them or separate them and give them each hens. Those are pretty much your options. I have had plenty of experience with to many roosters. I'm down to 2. One free ranges with a bunch of hens and the other stays in a run with his girls. They only compete when they crow. They don't fight between the fence thank goodness.

One of my roosters is a white leghorn and the other is sexlink mix or something along those lines.
My white leghorn killed my other white leghorn a few months ago and he's been really calm until now.

Yes they can and will fight out of the blue. My boys all got along a while back...........came home one day to a knock down drag out fight between my jersey giant and my RIR roos....they had grown up together and always got along fine. I have no doubt in my mind that had I not come home, the Jersey boy would have killed the RIR boy.

Both of those are gone...........now have a couple large fowl roos (barred rock, and blue cochin) and an assortment of bantam boys....the bantams will pick at each other a bit but have enough space to stay away.......except I went out yesterday morning and found mr cranky pants near death. Not sure who he got into it with but they sure whooped his tush.

If your rooster has already killed another, I would get rid of him or keep him alone ALWAYS. He will do it again.

Last edited:
At that age, they have probably matured to the point that one is challenging the other for flock dominance. One of two things will happen. They will fight to the death or one will accept the other's dominance and they will form a good partnership to take care of the hens. I can't tell you for sure what will happen, but if they are bleeding there is a pretty good chance this is a fight to the death. I'd treat it that way.

Back
Top Bottom