Will Seven (or Poultry Dust) kill rats or at least run them off??

kimntep

Songster
9 Years
Dec 30, 2010
Ocala, Florida
I'm willing to try anything! We've tried the glue traps and they aren't taking the bait (peanut butter) plus I'm afraid for the chickens to get in them. We aren't having trouble with any other pests, I believe due to DE, but the rats have got to go.

We had a mouse problem a couple of years ago due to flooding and couldn't seem to get rid of the buggers in our house. I took to spraying pure peppermint oil diluted in a spray bottle in closets, pantries, and in the crawl space and it is effective at repelling the mice. It's not guaranteed to work with all mice or rodents, but it is definitely worth a try if you have an issue. If all of the reviews I have read regarding this technique are an accurate indication, I would estimate this works about 80% of the time.

We also found that this spray kills the ants that were streaming into my kitchen.

I use the Now Foods brand. Some brands seem to be less effective. Now is available from Amazon in 1, 2 4, and 16 oz volumes.

Sevin will kill any fleas or ticks the rats have. Won't do anything to the rats themselves.

Try the rat poison bait bars (one bite type). They work great.

You're in Florida? A couple of yellow rat snakes will take care of it. I know, not ideal, they will steal eggs and eat chicks if given the chance. But we have no rodents at all here, because we let the snakes do the work they love most.

Thanks dawg, I like your idea.
cool.png

i use a homemade PVC bait station wired to my fence. i take a 2in pvc T and glue 6-8 in pieces of pvc pipe into each part of the T. Then fasten the pipe where the T is upside dwn wth one pipe straight up. I drop a piece of just one bite rat bait inside and cap it off. Rats and mice get to the bait but my chickens cant.

Back
Top Bottom