Will she be OK alone?

tara7815

Songster
10 Years
Aug 29, 2009
We hatched 7 chicks this past weekend.
5 of them went to their new home last night (one of my 4-H kids)

1 of them my family was head over heels in love with and we kept her along with one that had spraddle leg
they were keeping eachother company

The one with spraddle died last night :*(

since then the lone chick has been chirping non stop.

I have eggs due to hatch (day 21 is Saturday) at that point she will be 8 days old.

1) Is she going to be OK alone until Saturday? Is there anything I can do to make her feel less lonely?

2) Will she be OK with new chicks 8 days younger? (if they are slowly introduced?

Give her a stuffed animal to snuggle with. Hold her throughout the day when you can. She should be okay with the new chicks but you should definately monitor them to make sure she doesnt hurt them or chase them too much. Lucky you with only a few days to wait. My one and only had to wait a whole month. Needless to say, he is a mommas boy and now has 5 younger ones to look after.

You can try giving her a stuffed animal to cuddle with and a mirror so can can see "another" chick. Make sure she is warm enough in the brooder. You should be able to put her in with the new babies after they are up and running around without issue (just watch them at first).
smile.png

Something to try is a small stuff toy with a plain material coat so it cant pick the fuzzy off or terry cloth is not good either if you can find something like this warm it up in microwave and put it in with chick it might cuddle right up to it and quiet down... It has worked for me in the past. I just made a small pillow out of a old sock worked great

you guys are brilliant.

a kiddy mirror and stuffed clifford the big red dog and she is quiet and happy.

So greatful for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom