Will She Be OK? Broken Beak!!**PICS**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dbounds10, Aug 11, 2011.

1. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Last week while free ranging, my BR Penny cryed and come running over by me and sat down. She had blood on her mouth. I was so freaked out I did not notice until a day ago that what happened was she broke her beak!!! Please look at the pics and tell me if she will be ok and if there is anything I need to do for her. She is sill eating but obviouly has trouble "stabbing" anything or taking treats from my hand. She is my favorite chicken and just started laying this week! I dont want her to not be able to eat enough. She does not seem to be in pain, but the tip of her beak is red.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    Just the tip; should grow back with no problem. Might give her soft mashes, scrambled egg and the like untill it seals over a bit.

3. dbounds10

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    do I need to seperate her? I really hate to as she is top hen and JUST started laying 2 days ago. But I dont want her to get infection from pecking in dirt etc. If I have to seperate her, I do have a large cage I could put out in the run.

4. dbounds10

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Anyone else have suggestions? Do I need to put any medication on it? Take her out and clean it with anything special and if so how often?

5. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    you can dab it with a warm, damp paper towel toget out any dirt, then keep her seperate on clean shavings and feed her only soft foods like feed mixed with water or yogurt for maybe a week until it grows back some. good luck [​IMG]:

6. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    she should be fine, I don't think you will need to separate her- if you do then maybe take her out to see the other chickens every day so she isn't "the new girl" when she returns to the coop. You can clean it a few times a day, and feed her soft foods- scrambled eggs, yogurt, chicken feed softened with water, etc. There are a lot of threads about broken beaks on here if you do a search, your girl's break doesn't look too bad- I think she will recover quickly. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  7. chicken grandma

chicken grandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    west michigan
    I had a hen who was from an egg farm. Her beak, top and bottom had been clipped about in half! I doubt if the egg farm gave her anything to help it heal.. She was fine for two years that I had her and could eat just fine. Often she was the top chicken in the pecking order! You could add some vitamins to her water, that is good for all of them. Always make sure hens get lots of fresh grass and bugs!
    Don't worry! This hen will be fine! p.s. my half beak hen died of old age in my arms!

8. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I had a rooster that had the same issue but maybe a bit shorter. I didnt do anything special for him...It did grow out sort of ugly and a bit weird so I used a pair of nail clippers/file to fit it up once it got longish. If she is having a hard time eating you could even clip the bottom down slightly so that her beak is more even. Just watch that you dont clip the quick.

9. dbounds10

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Thanks guys! I am going to keep her with the others but take her out several times a day to clean it off and give her some soft food just in case she is having a hard time eating. I dont think she is but want to make sure. I will be going to the feed store to get some vitimans!

10. dbounds10

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Went to the feed store, got some poultry drench and some betadine. Brought her in wrapped in a towel and cleaned beak with a damp cotton ball and swabbed it with a tiny bit of betadine with a Q-tip. Then she got to have scrambled eggs with layer pellets crushed with the blender! She seemed happy as a clam after she got out of the evil towel from hell!

After her private snack in the kitchen floor she went out to free range with the rest of the girls for an hour.

I will bring her in and repeat this routine every day until it appears to be healing a little. The tip is not only chipped off but part of it sort of peeled off, very strange and I have no idea how it happened!

Thanks for all the tips.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by