Will she catch cold?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wbruder17, Mar 9, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Songster

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    My silkie Mama has been in the basement, with a heat lamp for a bit when the chickies were small, and then not for about w weeks but still in the room where the heat lamp was over some younger chicks. It was pretty warm, but still an unheated basement. She was down there for about 2 months in all and has significantly reduced in feathering, through brooding and then raising the chicks.

She has shown she is done raising the chicks so I returned her to the flock. I am worried because she got pretty wet today and beside her sister, looked more waterlogged and not as water-resistant.

I am worried she will catch cold being less accustomed/ prepared for the elements. Its about 40 degrees and she is sleeping in a nesting box inside the coop. Should I bring her in tonite, as she is wet?

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

she will probably be fine, -- there's been MUCH rain and LOTS of standing water here, and some of my frizzles have gone to roost while absolutely soaked through. Unless it's supposed to get a lot colder than your approximate 40 degree temps she'll probably dry gradually through the night and not get too cold.

3. wbruder17

wbruder17 Songster

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Thank you so much for answering! I was starting to think peeps were ignoring my posts!

And thank you for the input, I thought she would probably be ok, I was worried mostly because she was downstairs for so long and lost a lot of her fluffiness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: