Will she ever lay? 9mo Buff Orpinton

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sevenscuba, Feb 25, 2014.

1. sevenscuba

sevenscuba Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2013
    One of our orpingtons still isn't laying. We bought her at a week-ish old last May, so she's a full 9 months old. The other buff we got the same time has been laying for a couple of months now. At what point do we say she isn't ever going to lay, and have stew?

2. marktoo

marktoo Chillin' With My Peeps

If she is amiable stick it out a while longer, if not throw her in the pot. [​IMG] One of my Gold Laced Wyandottes just started laying at 47 weeks, the other at 25 weeks

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    She is not a machine,she will lay when her body has matured and not before. All chickens mature at a different rate,just like people,give her time.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Do you have a picture of her?

I always wonder, how do you know a specific bird isn't laying, esp when you have birds of the same breed?

5. sevenscuba

sevenscuba Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2013
    I don't. I can go out later and take one.

My two buffs have slightly different colored shanks, so I can tell them apart. One buff Cinnamon, squats. Vanilla has never squatted which I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I've watched Cinnamon go into the nesting box. I also can identify which bird lays each egg. So unless she's laying eggs that look exactly like someone else on days they don't or she's not laying. I know none of that is concrete, but it all adds up to Cinnamon laying and Vanilla not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by