Will she lay again?

Fierlin1182

powered-flight
8 Years
Aug 26, 2011
One of my hens' third birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks. She stopped laying about a year ago and occasionally still squeezes one out. Is it worth keeping her, do you think?

What sort of hen is she? It sounds as though she is at the end of her egg-laying days.

If she is a brown egg laying type, she almost certainly is (though I have a 5.5 year old Warren that lays most days.....but she's a clucking miracle!).

It depends if you don't mind having a egg every once in a while. She will only get slower (laying) as she ages.
D.gif

I have no idea what breed she is! We got them all from a feed store, they look like mutts to me. She's been laying at an egg-a-day rate for two years though.

This is a management decision. Some hens never lay well and are culled earlier on. Some begin to slack toward the end of year 2 and are culled.
Some folks here at BYC feed their pets until a natural death. This is pretty much the dividing line between livestock, valued mind you, but livestock and pets. You'll have to make the decision as to that demarcation.

Back
Top Bottom