Will she stress out?

Sunshine Hen

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 26, 2007
Stamford, CT
Ok, I work at a nature center and they have a bunch of ugly, mean, bald chickens. Now that it's spring, they're gonna get rid of the big chickens and hatch chicks.
1/2 of the chickens they sell are going to other farms because they still lay a lot of eggs. The other 1/2 is going to be eaten. :mad: There is one hen, who I named Meeko, who I've known since she was a baby. I want her really badly. I don't want her to be eaten. But I don't have a coop yet, so If I keep her in my neighbor's coop for a while and then build a coop to keep her and a few other hens in, will she get too stressed out?? I don't want to make her unhappy - but I'm sure being eaten would be an unhappy thing for her as well...
hmm.png

I think she would do fine. Bring her home!

I would keep her in a cage for a few days so that the others can see her. So that way they can get use to each other first. But she should be fine.

Last edited:
YAY!!!
Just one question: Meeko is a little more than a year old, and my neighbor's 3 hens don't lay yet - they will soon. Because Meeko is older, will she peck or be nicer to the others? Or will she just think, "Oh...chickens..." and not care?

I really don't know what Meeko will do. I am going by the rule of nature that she probably won't be to intiminadating cause she is on neutral territory. I am assuming your neighbors birds are young pullets. I would house Meeko with the others but keep them separated, let them see each other and get used to each other. Chickens often get passed around to different homes in their lifetimes. Once they have gotten used to each other then let them together, but supervise them so the pullets don't gang up on her. Make sure there is plently of room and hiding places just in case. Once you get your own coop done you can house Meeko with older chicks, use the same process I have stated. Oh I forgot before adding Meeko to your neighbors flock I would keep her isolated for a probationary period just incase for health reasons good luck.

Back
Top Bottom